The American people voted resoundingly for higher taxes this year. 61% of voters want to increase taxes:
This is what a mandate looks like. But it doesn’t stop there — voters brought their tax-love right into the polling booth.
- In California, Propositions 30 and 39 passed handily, raising billions of dollars for California public schools and universities.
- In Arkansas, Amendment #1 will fund new transportation projects.
- In Florida, a proposed tax cap and a reduction in corporate property taxes went down to a sound defeat.
- In Michigan, voters rejected Proposal 5, an undemocratic super-majority requirement that would have prevented tax increases.
- In Oregon, voters saved the estate tax. Teddy Roosevelt salutes you, Oregonians! They also removed their corporate tax rebate, so money goes to schools, not corporations.
The anti-tax grinches in Washington are going to be making a lot of noise in the next few months. We need to make sure that they pipe down and listen to the American people.